Want to Stop Telemarketing Calls?
If you waste a telemarketer’s time, it costs them money.
Here’s what most people don’t understand. The best thing you can do for a telemarketer is hang up on them. This allows them to call the next phone number on their list and puts them one step closer to finding a sucker.
If you think about it, by keeping them on the line, you do two things:
- Wastes their time, which costs them money and decreases their profits.
- Saves the next sucker from getting called. It’s like you’re doing the next person a favor.
How does wasting a telemarketers time cost them money?
Simple. Time is money. The equipment is cheap and the robo-dialer program costs nothing. They’re in business to make money and when you hang-up on them (or don’t answer the phone), you make them more profitable.
If everyone spent 2 minutes talking to every telemarketer that called them, telemarketing as an industry would go out of business in a few days. If nothing else, wasting their time will increase the odds of actually getting added to their do not call list. Learn more about why telemarketers keep calling you.
The math of an illegal telemarketing scam is pretty easy – minimize the cost to find a sucker. It works like this:
- Dial 10,000 phone numbers with auto-dialing equipment at a cost of $0.
- 1 in 10 people answer, so that’s 1,000 connected calls.
- The average talk time per call is 10 seconds because most people hang-up.
- If they pay $5 / hour, then it only costs them about $14 to connect 1,000 calls.
- If 1 in 1,000 people spend $100 with the telemarketing company, then their profit margin is 86%!
Now, if instead of a 10 second average talk time, we increase the talk time to 2 minutes because everyone wastes their time. The math now looks like this:
- The average talk time is 120 seconds.
- If they pay $5 / hour, then it costs them about $170 to connect 1,000 calls.
- If 1 in 1,000 people spend $100 with the telemarketing company, then they now lose $66 on every order!
So next time a telemarketer calls, answer the phone and waste their time. Need ideas for wasting their time? Read our page on How to Waste A Telemarketers Time.